Loudoun Kirk

Copyright Friends of Loudoun Kirk © 2015

The Friends of Loudoun Kirk was established in 1994 to restore and preserve the partially ruined Loudoun Kirk and it’s environs

The Kirk was originally thought to have been built around 1451 but after thorough research evidence now shows it was  built around 1189.


Restored to some degree by the 3rd Marquis of Bute in 1898, the kirk became the burial vault for many of the members of the families in Loudoun Castle and after some punitive attempts at repairs, the kirk was left in danger of becoming derelict.


The state of the building was noted by two men, interested in preserving this historical building and in 1994 saw the birth of FOLK (Friends of Loudoun Kirk)

A list of some of the organisations and people who helped us along the way

Information which maybe useful to local and family historians

A short history of Loudoun Kirk and it’s relation to Loudoun Castle

Credits Membership History


Scottish Charity No. SC 023836

Please Note:

The Newsletters are hyperlinked to the site so cannot be included in the site search facility.

From time to time we will be adding information so it’s worth checking the site for the new additions.


      What’s New


Letters to America

Report on Loudoun Estate 1814

Mining in Loudoun

Ceilidh - Listen to the band

The return of the Great Seal



Ceilidh - listen to the band

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share via e-mail Print